Supporting Independents in Leicester during uncertain times
Here at Independent Leicester we have always been about celebrating our independent businesses and encouraging people to shop locally. These little spaces bring so much joy to our lives – the cafe that is your home from home, the restaurant you went on that special date, the shop you found your style in – the small corners in the city worth shouting about, and they need your support now more than ever.
Public health and safety should be everyone’s highest priority right now, so we sat down and had a think about how we can continue to support Leicester’s independent businesses in these uncertain times. We’ve pulled together some lists below that may be useful – ways that you can show your support for Leicester independents whilst making sure you protect your own health and the community around you.
We understand that everyone’s circumstances are different. We offer these ideas without judgement, but as a way for those who want – and are able – to support independents to continue to do so.
We’ll keep adding to these lists and ideas so if you hear of any great initiatives from independents please let us know on our facebook or instagram: @independentleics
Stay safe and #supportleicesterlocal
Independent businesses in Leicester with online shopping
Browsing boutiques and discovering new items is one of the joys of shopping in independents – you never know what you might find. But did you know many independents in the city offer an online shop too? The product range might not be as extensive as in shops but you can still get your independent fix from the comfort of your home. Here are some links to online stores of Leicester independents…
- Niche is a beautiful shop full of stylish and inspiring products from all over the world. Shop online here.
- What better way to use your time than learning how to sew? Visit Crafty Sew & So online for patterns, starter kits and all the supplies you need.
- If you’re in need of a sweet treat head to Cocoa Amore’s online store – perfect if you’re buying Easter eggs.. or if you need a little sugar hit.
- Local independent florist Flowerworks allow you to order online and deliver to your recipient directly. But if you’re anything like us some fresh flowers are just what we need for ourselves to brighten our work-from-home desk.
- Harriman & Co. are well known for their stylish home products. If you’re working from home you want to make sure the place is looking its best. Shop online here.
- Missing the pub? You might be forced to have a few more quiet nights in, but that doesn’t mean you have to settle for anything less than the best. Spoil yourself with a bottle of something special from 23 wine and whiskey. Shop online here.
- If you’ve done a spring clean of the wardrobe and realised you’re in need of a fashion update – there’s plenty of shops that offer online stores to browse and buy from your own home. Try The Wardrobe for vintage style; Pilot for the latest fashion trends; or Jellyrolls kidswear to get your little ones looking tip top.
- Nothing says “I care” like jewellery -whether for yourself or as a gift, find everything from rings to watches and all kinds of beautifully crafted accessories at the city’s independent jewellers. Try Lumbers online shop for something special.
- We Are have an online shop where you can buy beautiful items from a collective of over 30 artists. Shop online here.
- Tinfish Shoes have an online store of beautiful footwear – so you can prepare to put your best, most stylish foot forward when the time is right. They also have a great range of slippers for some extra home comfort. Shop online here.
Independent businesses you can buy/takeaway essential supplies from
If you’re preparing to work from home for a while or find yourself faced with empty supermarket shelves – don’t forget you can pick up essentials at some of your favourite independents
- NADA Zero Waste store allows you to buy essentials in refillable containers – so you can get just as much as you need. It’s a great, friendly shopping space a million miles away from panic-buying in supermarkets. You can even order online through their click and collect service so you can pick up your supplies quickly. They are currently open 11-2 – only 2 members of the public in the shop at any time. It is no longer self-service, but the team are happy to help.
- Again, for those who want to avoid the supermarkets or are finding shelves bare – try Healthy Route for natural and organic bodycare, foods and supplements including food for specific dietary requirements that you might not be able to find in regular supermarkets, – such as gluten free produce.
- Another great coffee supplier is Leicester Coffee House – and they offer delivery on their “coffee of the month” subscription, and are open Fridays 9am-2pm to pick up beans. Find out more online.
- Leicester Market is open for business – loads of fresh fruit and veg for you to take home all sold from independent traders. Non-food products are no longer being sold on the Market, and remaining food stalls have been spread out so that customers can shop whilst maintaining two-metre social distancing. In the indoor foodhall, stewards will be enforcing a queuing system to ensure shoppers are a safe distance apart and limit the numbers inside the food hall at any one time.
- The Case is offering fruit, veg and salad boxes for collection from their open-air courtyard. The boxes are from their supplier, Nutty’s. Boxes are £15 each and minimum order is one box. Maximum order is one of each box. Order Monday-Friday between 9am and 2pm. Collect Tuesday – Saturday – your time slot will be agreed upon payment. Email your order to firstname.lastname@example.org – please include any relevant allergy information, along with your name and telephone number. They’ll get in touch to arrange payment over the phone and your collection time. Find out more here.
Independent businesses in Leicester that offer delivery/takeaway
It doesn’t matter how many tins of baked beans you bought – store cupboard food will get you down. But fear not! Loads of the city’s great independent cafes and restaurants offer delivery. And with delivery partners such as Deliveroo offering “no contact drop-off,” ordering in is a safe way to access your favourite treats whilst supporting independents.
- Wingshack gourmet chicken wings are the ideal snack to keep you going. They deliver through Deliveroo, Uber Eats and Owl Get It. If you want to collect for takeaway, you can call ahead to order and arrange a collection time – 0116 319 2262
- Kayal are offering their delicious South Asian cuisine delivered to your door. Check out the menu online and call 0116 255 4667 to order.
- Order vegetarian and vegan cuisine direct to your door from Herb. Check out the menu online and call 0116 233 2715 to order.
- Merchant of Venice are offering delivery service on their menu. Check out the menu online and call 0116 291 5604 to order.
- Awesome Chips are available for delivery to your door through Deliveroo and UberEats
- Chinese Snack Box will deliver your favourite Chinese dishes direct to your door. Order through Deliveroo or Just Eat.
- The Blue Boar will deliver a selection of cask ales (in 500ml bottles), ciders, bottles and wine direct to your door. Deliveries are on Wednesday and Friday afternoons – order before 7pm the day before to get your supply. Find out more details on ordering here.
Independent businesses that offer vouchers / are registered charities that accept donations
Why not buy a gift voucher for your favourite independent business? The business will get the income at a much needed time, and you have a treat for yourself stored up for when you feel more comfortable to use it. If you know someone who is isolating – we can’t think of a better ‘get well’ gift than a promise of a night out with a friend once it is safe to do so. We’ve listed some places that offer gift vouchers below….
- Niche online store sells gift vouchers. Click here to buy one.
- Curve theatre has had to cancel performances and refund ticket holders due to government advice on social gatherings. Curve is a registered charity and accepts donations. You can also buy memberships now to support the theatre and receive money off when you buy tickets to future shows. Find out more about how you can help Curve online.
- Gelato Village offer gift vouchers you can purchase for future use – you’ll thank yourself when summer comes! Just pop them an email to find out more: email@example.com They are available in £5 denominations. You can also buy the team a virtual coffee through Ko-Fi to help support the business during tough times. See more online here.
- Phoenix Leicester has been forced to close due to government advice on social gatherings. As a registered charity, you can donate to Phoenix to support their work, buy a gift voucher for future or become a member or supporter. Find out more online.
- Give the gift of good times – to yourself or a loved one – with a voucher for 33 cank street.
- Treat your future self to a new look – buy a gift card for Barrie Stephen Salons online.
- You might not be able to get away on holiday for a while, but you can have a taste of Italy sooner with a gift card for Veeno. Buy online.
- Not quite a voucher – but why not buy tickets to an autumn or winter show or gig from entertainment venues? It’ll be something for you to look forward to and will support arts and entertainment venues during this difficult period. Take a look at the listings: The Y, Curve, Haymarket Theatre, Little Theatre
Other great ideas we’ve seen from Independents
- The Y Theatre have kids activity packs that you can download and print at home, or paste into paint to help keep the kids entertained indoors! We love the idea – find the packs here.
- Independent mental health charity lamp are giving a wellbeing tip a day to help anyone who is struggling with their mental health in the current climate. It’s important to take care of yourself, and their little tips will help you focus on small things you can control to improve your wellbeing in challenging times. Follow their Instagram page to get a daily tip.